Lighting, adjusting and shutting down an oxygen-acetylene torch is easy – especially when following the proper procedures. In addition to these easy to follow instructions, you must always be sure to follow the torch manufacturer’s operating procedures.
First – before you attempt to light the torch follow these checks:
- Make sure regulator pressure adjustment screws are backed out!
- Make sure torch valves are closed!
- Stand away from front of regulator
- Separately and slowly open the oxygen and acetylene cylinder valves
- Adjust regulator p/a screws to tip pressure settings
- Open/close torch valves separately and fine tune pressure settings on regulators
- Depress cutting lever and adjust pressure if necessary
Lighting and adjusting the torch (with a positive/equal pressure mixer):
- Separately purge both oxygen and fuel gas lines
- Open fuel gas valve 1/2 turn
- Ignite flame with striker
- Increase fuel gas flow until flame leaves end of tip and no smoke is present
- Decrease until flame goes back to tip
- Open oxygen valve and adjust to neutral flame
- Depress oxygen lever and make necessary adjustments
Shutting down the torch (with a positive/equal pressure mixer):
- Close oxygen torch valve
- Close fuel gas torch valve
If the torch/regulators and gases are done being used for a while, follow these procedures:
- Close oxygen and fuel gas cylinder valves
- Separately purge oxygen and fuel gas lines
- Make sure all regulator gauges read 0
- Back out regulator pressure adjustment screws!
- If you are using in a commercial environment, report any damage, etc. to your supervisor
Remember to always follow basic safety rules when working with oxy-fuel equipment.